Half of Brits have blamed increasing work commitments for breakdowns in previous relationships. The research was conducted by the UK’s only dedicated recruitment agency review site HireScores.com, in order to find out if work has negative implications on relationships.

1,456 members of the British public were asked whether a relationship breakdown ever been a result of either their jobs or their partner’s job” 53% answered yes, whilst 31% said no and the remaining respondents were unsure.

When asked the main cause of a break-up in the past, 11% said that infidelity within the workplace was the main reason, with 56% of these admitting that they had been cheated on whilst the other 44% confessed that they were the ones who had been unfaithful with a colleague or client.

37% admitted that the time spent in the office or at work was the main reason their relationship ended, with a third of these saying that they felt their partner spent more time at work than home or vice versa.
According to the report the top reasons for relationships ended by work issues were , time spent in the office, time spent working from home, Talking too much about work and infidelity in the workplace

Lisette Howlett, managing director of HireScores.com, commented on the findings;

“It comes as no surprise that your work life can have such a huge impact on your personal life. For many Brits, 37.5 hours is the minimal amount of time that will be spent in the office in any given week, not factoring in any over time that might need to be done.”
She continued;

“Whilst it is no bad thing to be focused on your career, it is worth remembering to spend just as much time investing in your personal life. At HireScores.com we encourage the right balance of work and play, because ultimately if you’re happy in one aspect of your life it will have a positive effect on other areas.”