UK company fined £0.3m for electrocution

Share this story

A 45-year old linesman was electrocuted as he worked to remove a transformer in Diss, Norfolk, on 9th November 2007.

The transformer was on a pole and the deceased was in a mobile elevating platform at a height of 5 metres when the transformer contacted a live conductor, resulting in his electrocution. Fuses supplying the transformer had not been removed to isolate the electricity supply while it was lifted by a crane and also being held by the deceased.

HSE maintained that UK Power Networks had failed to ensure this high risk work on its electricity distribution network was carried out safely by failing to devise and prescribe rigorous procedures, training its staff adequately and monitoring for compliance with these procedures.
At Norwich Crown Court UK Power Networks of London admitted breaching S.2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and was fined £0.3m plus costs of £219,352.

An HSE official commented: “There is no room for error when working with such high voltages. It is not only the person involved in such an awful incident that is affected but family and friends are often left behind to deal with the devastation.”

Help Keep HRreview Free with a Small Donation





Post Comment