Two subcontractor employees and a school caretaker employed by Birmingham City Council were exposed to asbestos during work to remove ceiling tiles at the reception area of William Cowper Community Primary School, Newtown.
Solihull Supplies Ltd was contracted by the City Council to undertake the work and they in turn contracted another company (unnamed pending legal proceedings) whose workmen were exposed during July 2009 as they stripped the tiles from 7 rooms. The subcontractor had no asbestos license for the task which required 7 hours to complete. The men used an ordinary vacuum cleaner to clean up the material which contained brown asbestos.
Birmingham City Council admitted breaching S.2(1) and 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and was fined Ã‚Â£5,000 plus Ã‚Â£1,091 costs.
Solihull Supplies Ltd of Knowle, Solihull, admitted breaching r.6(1)(a) of the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2006 and was fined Ã‚Â£1,750 plus Ã‚Â£1,091 costs.