Four employees were exposed to the poisonous material while removing soffits from a property between 16 and 17 June 2009.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that Philip Leslie Davies, (54), trading as Meadow View Windows and Conservatories, had failed to take effective measures to prevent or reduce his employees being exposed to the potentially deadly substance.
Mr Davies, of Shrewsbury, admitted exposing employees to asbestos, failing to carry out a suitable and sufficient assessment, and failing to ensure adequate information, instruction and training was provided to employees.
Mr Davies was charged with breaching the Control of Asbestos at Work Regulations 2006. He was fined a total of Ã‚Â£3,000 and ordered to pay costs of Ã‚Â£1,615 at Welshpool Magistrates Court on 19 November 2010
HSE inspector Chris Wilcox said:
“Four of Mr Davies’ employees were exposed to asbestos in circumstances that were wholly avoidable.
“They now have to live with the fear of becoming ill with a life-threatening lung disease.
“Those working in the roofline products industry must check for the presence of asbestos and be fully aware of the legal requirements for working with asbestos-containing materials.”