Absenteeism is a big issue in the workplace and is costing British businesses an estimated £32bn a year.
On average 9.1 days are lost due to unscheduled absences, according to figures from PwC. As a result of this workers have been found to be 29.5 percent less productive when covering for absences and that 69 percent of absences added to employee workloads.
Absenteeism also has knock on affects for increased stress levels (61%), damaged morale (48%) and reduction in quality of work (40%).
As absenteeism cannot be completely eradicated there are steps companies can take to reduce the negative impacts it can have on workers and business.
David Walshand, communications executive for Softworks, a time and attendance software company, provides an infographic below, showing the impact it has on businesses and provides insight into methods to combat absenteeism.
- Uber faces legal action over drivers’ rights - Thursday, July 30, 2015
- Government launches investigation into exit charges for pension freedoms - Thursday, July 30, 2015
- Millennials have a more holistic approach to retirement planning - Thursday, July 30, 2015
- Infographic: Anatomy of a great business team - Thursday, July 30, 2015
- National cycle to work day returns for its third year - Thursday, July 30, 2015
- Brits have the most difficult conversations at work - Wednesday, July 29, 2015
- Infographic: The evolution in career management - Tuesday, July 28, 2015
- Employees working longer hours due to technology - Tuesday, July 28, 2015
- HR needs to shift focus to add value in M&A deals - Tuesday, July 28, 2015
- Advertised salaries fall to eleven month low - Tuesday, July 28, 2015