So I was happy to read about an idea an employer had recently for using Blackberries to improve the safety of staff.
Working alone, or lone-working as we health and safety-types like to call it, can be a big problem, especially if your work has the potential for confrontation.
Regenda is a housing and regeneration organisation based in the North West of England. It recently provided front-line staff such as its neighbourhood officers, anti-social behaviour workers and those who work to support residents with financial issues, with a special Blackberry based-device.
The device allows staff to inform others where they are and how long they expect to be out and about. Also, at the push of a button, it’s possible for their meetings to be listened in to by a colleague who can then raise an alarm if they feel any situation is “getting out of hand.”
In effect, the technology allows lone workers to feel like they aren’t entirely alone.
In addition, Regenda say they’re using the initiative to show its staff that health and safety isn’t about complicated jargon, but simply a way of looking after their well-being.
Of course, always working alongside others would be the best option. But in health and safety we have to recognise that not all situations can be perfect. Sometimes we have to think differently, and come up with a practical solution that is best suited to everyones needs, whether employer or employee.
Technology is sometimes blamed when things go wrong. Take the summer riots in London for example, when Blackberries were blamed for making communication between wrong-doers much easier. Interestingly, I also recall that health and safety was blamed for the summer riots in some quarters too.
But is it right to blame useful tools that sometimes fall into the wrong hands?
Well done Regenda for using technology for good, and for showing health and safety in a good light!
- Teresa Budworth: See! Health and safety saves lives - Wednesday, July 17, 2013
- Teresa Budworth: I don’t know whether to laugh or cry - Wednesday, May 29, 2013
- Teresa Budworth: Permit to work, not to fall ill - Thursday, April 11, 2013
- Teresa Budworth: Feeling a bit awkward? Help is on its way! - Wednesday, March 13, 2013
- Teresa Budworth: Check your waste, it may contain a life - Thursday, December 20, 2012
- Teresa Budworth: Warned twice, and then look what happened! - Monday, October 22, 2012
- Teresa Budworth: When you need a break, take a proper one! - Wednesday, September 19, 2012
- Teresa Budworth: I’m a survivor! - Monday, July 30, 2012
- Teresa Budworth: The stuff of champions! - Tuesday, July 24, 2012
- Teresa Budworth: Don’t ever rely on good fortune! - Thursday, May 31, 2012