It has long been thought that as UK population rises and the age expectancy of that population also increases that the state pension will have to be altered in response. It has now been claimed by the Labour Party and supporting economic experts, that working people may have to wait until their 70s before they can start to think about retirement.
The Office for Budget Responsibility has already forecast that on current trajectories of life expectancy, the state pensionable age could hit 70 by the mid-2060s, but Labour and financial experts are now warning that this could occur much earlier than anyone had previously predicted.
The government is currently reviewing the state pension age and mulling a decision to move the state retirement age from April 2028, the point at which it will have reached 67 for men and women, potentially affecting people under the age of about 55.
John Cridland, the director general of the CBI, has been named as the independent reviewer of the pension age and will look at whether the pension age should continue to be linked to rising life expectancy.
For more details on this story check out HRreview’s recent webinar on the problems relating to an aging workforce: http://www.hrreview.co.uk/videos/the-uks-ageing-workforce-debate/59462
- HRreview’s Global Mobility week throws light on challenges facing industry - Monday, May 16, 2016
- Majority of employers do not have faith in their company benefits package - Friday, May 13, 2016
- Temporary employees are better-skilled and higher educated, new study reveals - Friday, May 13, 2016
- Firms attack whistleblowers’ mental health to undermine claims,says new research - Tuesday, May 10, 2016
- New EU poll points to growing business support for Brexit - Tuesday, May 10, 2016
- GradWeb rebrands to Amberjack - Tuesday, May 10, 2016
- Poll: Is a single person or a person with a family more likely to stick out a global assignment? - Monday, May 9, 2016
- HRreview launches Global Mobility Week - Monday, May 9, 2016
- Internship controversially sold at auction for $10,000 - Friday, May 6, 2016
- Advertised salaries reach standstill as optimism in job market stutters - Tuesday, May 3, 2016