January is setting the stage for 2016 to be the busiest year yet for UK recruitment as applications fly in for roles across the nation. What is most surprising though is that many of the applications were for engineering jobs, a sector that was considered to be suffering from a skills gap.
The construction sectors received 34,765 and 33,606 applications respectively on the CV-Library site, while administration, manufacturing and distribution also figured highly.
“January is typically a busy month for recruitment as many decision-makers are back in the office after the Christmas period and businesses often have a new quarterly budget to work with,” commented Lee Biggins, founder and managing director of CV-Library commented.
CV library also revealed which cities are raking in the most applications in 2016 so far, with London unsurprisingly coming in at the top of the list. 83,298 applications were sent out in the capital, while 28,124 were made in Birmingham and 9,851 applications in Manchester.
“This record number of visitors and applications supports our recent research which revealed over 7 million UK workers have resolved to find a new job in 2016, so we’re not surprised to see a spike in applications this month. It’s clear that 2016 is set to be a record-breaking year with more workers on the lookout for new roles. This, coupled with continued job growth, paints a rosy picture of the UK job market in 2016,” Biggins concluded.
- HRreview’s Global Mobility week throws light on challenges facing industry - Monday, May 16, 2016
- Majority of employers do not have faith in their company benefits package - Friday, May 13, 2016
- Temporary employees are better-skilled and higher educated, new study reveals - Friday, May 13, 2016
- Firms attack whistleblowers’ mental health to undermine claims,says new research - Tuesday, May 10, 2016
- New EU poll points to growing business support for Brexit - Tuesday, May 10, 2016
- GradWeb rebrands to Amberjack - Tuesday, May 10, 2016
- Poll: Is a single person or a person with a family more likely to stick out a global assignment? - Monday, May 9, 2016
- HRreview launches Global Mobility Week - Monday, May 9, 2016
- Internship controversially sold at auction for $10,000 - Friday, May 6, 2016
- Advertised salaries reach standstill as optimism in job market stutters - Tuesday, May 3, 2016