The pound has been sent into freefall this morning after a weekend of dramatic news about Britain’s potential exit from the European Union. Boris Johnson’s decision yesterday to support the exit campaign is being viewed as a major blow to David Cameron’s attempts to convince voters that it is critically important for Britain to remain in the Union.
As markets opened in London the pound recorded its biggest one-day fall against the dollar in more than a year as jitters gripped the stock exchange.
The pound also fell against the euro, sliding 1.3 percent to €1.2773, and fell 1.5 per cent to ¥159.682 against the Yen, its lowest level since 2013.
Boris Johnson is viewed as having a potentially critical role to play in the battle over Britain’s membership of the European Union. He is seen, by some, as a charismatic public figure who the general public do listen to. Michael Gove is another senior Conservative figure who has opted to go against the Prime Minister and advocate leaving.
David Cameron will address the Commons later today and attempt to convince his wavering MPs that staying within the confines of the European state is a good idea.
The repercussions on British business, if the nation were to vote to leave, would be considerable. HR departments would face many different repercussions as EU law, which would become defunct should the nation vote no, is the source of many UK employment rights.
- HRreview’s Global Mobility week throws light on challenges facing industry - Monday, May 16, 2016
- Majority of employers do not have faith in their company benefits package - Friday, May 13, 2016
- Temporary employees are better-skilled and higher educated, new study reveals - Friday, May 13, 2016
- Firms attack whistleblowers’ mental health to undermine claims,says new research - Tuesday, May 10, 2016
- New EU poll points to growing business support for Brexit - Tuesday, May 10, 2016
- GradWeb rebrands to Amberjack - Tuesday, May 10, 2016
- Poll: Is a single person or a person with a family more likely to stick out a global assignment? - Monday, May 9, 2016
- HRreview launches Global Mobility Week - Monday, May 9, 2016
- Internship controversially sold at auction for $10,000 - Friday, May 6, 2016
- Advertised salaries reach standstill as optimism in job market stutters - Tuesday, May 3, 2016